Posts Tagged ‘watercolor’
Wednesday, September 2nd, 2020
This piece is in a category I call “more cowbell.” I took an older Blue Moon painting and put a bird on it. Or three, to be accurate.
It’s a small murder, but it checks out.
There’s a rich texture both on the paper and in the paint here, with the black sky and haloed moon both highlighting and concealing the crows. They’ve got some gorgeous blue and violet in their feathers, especially the two in the shadows, and their eyes contain a tiny glint of iridescent paint.
Doesn’t your life need a little murder?
Above, you can see the crows, shadow on shadow, their purple-blue plumage fading into the textured black night sky. Below, they’re trapped in a frame like a view out a window that doesn’t exist.
Friday, August 28th, 2020
I took some time off in July to have a lot of migraines, so that was great, but I’m feeling better now despite the state being on fire and everything, and hey, my theme of Black Lives Matter for those prompts is really still relevant, so here we go:
- Corinne wanted a BLM emoji for Slack, so I’ll be combining this with a Pride abstract I painted back in June for the actual finished item.
- Kim asked for Scary Anglerfish in July, and since she hadn’t made a June request she got this guy
- Amy B asked for “no Pride without Marsha P. Johnson” and I found a great photo of her with a big hat.
- Roxanne asked to be surprised with a black MCU character, so the Falcon flew in to say Black Lives Matter.
- Jeff asked for George Washington Carver, and there’s a lot of dumb jokes in here since he invented a ton of peanut products but not peanut butter, and also a subtle dig on the whole gif pronunciation debate.
- Rebecca S asked for Justice, and got this “No Justice, No Peace” word art.
Thank you for the support and patience of all my wonderful patrons, who keep me in tea and paint and cat food! You can be one of them here.
Categories: Completed Commissions, People, Figures and Faces, Pretty Words, Sea Creatures and Other Animals, Things I'm a Fan Of
Tags: aceo, angler fish, black lives matter, copic marker, corinne, gay pride, kim, mcu, pen and ink, posca marker, sam wilson, trans pride, watercolor, word art
Friday, July 24th, 2020
Everything is late and slow right now, please be kind to your artist! All of these got posted publicly to my Patreon when they were finished, and were drawn/painted by request of my lovely supporters there. Consider joining up as a supporter if you have a few dollars a month to spare!
- Amber asked for “I’m melting!” and got Ditto for, uh, reasons
- Amy B asked for a bat and got this silhouetted fruit bat
- Rey asked for Patience and I couldn’t resist making it a bit golden
- Another kitty portrait for Corinne, this time Gramsci being longcat
- “Brain Fog” for Kim
- Rebecca was wondering what Bucky was up to, so I put him in a coffee shop AU. This IS his customer service face, tyvm.
- Eric asked for a MerMay Cloud Strife, and yeah, I dunno. Emo boy is emo.
- PG asked for a porcupine, and got this fellow and his bad hair day.
- Deinvati asked for Shark and knew exactly what she was gonna get. It’s DC canon now, don’t blame me. It’s naughty, so click to see a less-censored version. Mom, don’t look! XD Uncensored version linked here with more, uh, related art.
- Andria asked for dark purple lisianthus, and got some floofy abstract flowers.
- Grace asked for Escape and I’m afraid I can never hear that word and not think of Dory. Esss-cahp-ay!
Thanks once again to all my wonderful supporters, who keep me in tea and paint and cat food! June’s very late sketches coming soon to an internet near you.
Categories: Completed Commissions, Flowers, Trees and Landscapes, Nudes and Other Sexy Things, People, Figures and Faces, Pretty Words, Sea Creatures and Other Animals, Series and Books, Things I'm a Fan Of, Whimsical and Strange
Tags: aceo, bucky barnes, cat, copic marker, corinne, dcu, final fantasy, finding nemo, glitter gel pen, ink wash, kim, mcu, patreon, pen and ink, pencil, pokemon, watercolor, word art
Thursday, May 14th, 2020
Back in Feb & March, in the before times and the between times, some Patreon patrons gave me sketch requests! I’ve been slowly filling these as the months go along (they normally get filled the month after they’re requested), but forgetting to share them here.
And so, a lot of art with very little explanation!
Categories: Angels, Cthulhu, and Other Myths, Completed Commissions, Flowers, Trees and Landscapes, People, Figures and Faces, Pretty Words, Sea Creatures and Other Animals, Series and Books, Things I'm a Fan Of, Whimsical and Strange, Zombies, Skulls, and Other Morbid Things
Tags: copic marker, corinne, doctor who, duochrome, glitter gel pen, hockey, ink wash, iridescent, james bond, jefferson, kim, nfs, patreon, pen and ink, pokemon, primatek, sherlock, skull, sold, star wars, tank girl, watercolor, word art
Thursday, April 30th, 2020
I did this piece for Instagram back in March but the sentiment continues, and will continue, to apply.
Stress and creativity are weird bedfellows, uncomfortably clashing and mixing in strange ways. There’s not going to be the same kind of Floating Gallery in May because things aren’t done, but some commissions are getting off the books instead, which is its own kind of goodness. My Patreon patrons continue to be a source of support and delight, and their sketches are also getting done, albeit slowly. They will get first dibs on anything that drops in May, including this piece.
Stay safe, be well, and pet your animals. At least the ones that don’t bite.
Tuesday, April 14th, 2020
I’ve been slack in posting the results of my Patreon sketch requests this year, for the same reason as everything, really. We’re all losing track of time, sleep, and everything but our pets, who won’t let us. These are for requests given to me in January, which were drawn/painted in February, and I’m finally remembering to post here in April.
- Jefferson asked for “MELTAN YOUR FACE OFF” which became, uh, that.
- Eric asked for a Numenera prop and got Stoic Bountiful Goat, which is a riff off a Pokestop by his work. I’ve gotta amuse myself somehow.
- Luna asked for a very determined snail, and got a snail with a meme face.
- Amy B asked for caterwauling and got a drawing inspired by Mal when she wants attention. Just imagine she’s sitting on my desk like a jerkface who is perfectly aware she’s not supposed to be up there.
- Eric got a surprise B-side to his Numenera thing, because his weird blob of clay changes shape when you look away. I have no explanation for why it’s a pistachio.
- Kim asked for a comfy crow making itself at home, which turned into nesting. I’m going to assume it stole the purple yarn from Kim’s stash.
- Corinne asked for Peggy Carter.
- Amber asked for herself brandishing a wooden spoon.
- Roxanne asked for Harry Dresden.
- Andria asked for Real Winter and got a bonus Winter Soldier because reasons.
If you’d like one of your own, you can come support me on Patreon here and make your own request, which I will then interpret however I like.
Categories: Completed Commissions, Flowers, Trees and Landscapes, People, Figures and Faces, Sea Creatures and Other Animals, Things I'm a Fan Of, Whimsical and Strange
Tags: aceo, copic marker, patreon, pen and ink, watercolor
Tuesday, March 17th, 2020
The abstract blue-green sky of this painting is so rich and dark, all it needed was some birds fading in and out of the roil of storm clouds. The crows are highlighted with a touch of purple that only shows up at certain angles, just enough that you’ll never entirely lose track of them.
This isn’t an easy one to photograph, and will reward the brave soul who takes it into their home and makes it their own.
Above, you can see the purple sheen on the crow’s wings against the dull roil of blue-black clouds. Below, the painting is resting in a frame, waiting to be taken on the winds to its final destination.
« Or Head Back That Way More Art This Way »