Posts Tagged ‘angler fish’
Friday, August 28th, 2020
I took some time off in July to have a lot of migraines, so that was great, but I’m feeling better now despite the state being on fire and everything, and hey, my theme of Black Lives Matter for those prompts is really still relevant, so here we go:
- Corinne wanted a BLM emoji for Slack, so I’ll be combining this with a Pride abstract I painted back in June for the actual finished item.
- Kim asked for Scary Anglerfish in July, and since she hadn’t made a June request she got this guy
- Amy B asked for “no Pride without Marsha P. Johnson” and I found a great photo of her with a big hat.
- Roxanne asked to be surprised with a black MCU character, so the Falcon flew in to say Black Lives Matter.
- Jeff asked for George Washington Carver, and there’s a lot of dumb jokes in here since he invented a ton of peanut products but not peanut butter, and also a subtle dig on the whole gif pronunciation debate.
- Rebecca S asked for Justice, and got this “No Justice, No Peace” word art.
Thank you for the support and patience of all my wonderful patrons, who keep me in tea and paint and cat food! You can be one of them here.
Categories: Completed Commissions, People, Figures and Faces, Pretty Words, Sea Creatures and Other Animals, Things I'm a Fan Of
Tags: aceo, angler fish, black lives matter, copic marker, corinne, gay pride, kim, mcu, patreon, pen and ink, posca marker, sam wilson, trans pride, watercolor, word art
Friday, May 24th, 2013
After I painted this bloody red background, deliberately deep and dark, I thought that a glowing blue Angler fish would be the perfect thing to go on top of it. I love the contrast between the abstract, color-field-like painting in the background, all matte and dark Japanese watercolors that sank into the textured black paper, and the drawing-like simplicity of the fish on top. She’s got deceptive amounts of detail, from the subtle shading on her creepy blank eye to the deliberate comic “shine” marks around her phosphorescent lure. The paint itself is a little bit shiny, with some duochrome Aquamarine mixed in with the white and turquoise to create a shiny paint that sits on top of the background rather than blending in.
Also, she’s magnificently creepy. Win!
Angler Fish 1, 7″x5″ watercolor on paper, $250 with free shipping.
Above, you can see the murky background painting along with the little pre-sketch I did to fix the design in my head. I didn’t want to pencil directly onto the paint, so I just doodled it on a bit of scratch paper instead. Below, you can see a close-up of the angler’s lure and her shiny paint looking very bright against the matte depths behind her.
And finally, you can see the fish in her frame! I keep saying her because, of course, male angler fish are wee, pathetic little things doomed to die in the service of their species. I feel comfortable putting these links off my site here, because none of you ever read this far down, anyway.
- Title: Angler Fish 1
- 7 in. x 5 in. watercolor, Japanese watercolor, and duochrome watercolor on Arches cover black paper
- $250 for the original (tax will be added if you live in CA)
- Frame is not included, but can be added for $50 (shipping included)
- Shipping is free anywhere in the world
- Payment plans are available, just email me
- The button below will take you to Paypal – if you’d like to pay another way, just let me know and we’ll work it out