Posts Tagged ‘iridescent’
Summer 2021 Patreon Sketches
Monday, February 21st, 2022
Sketch cards galore! I have so many that I haven’t posted here, sorry. Last year was full of overwhelm and catch-up and madness, and I’m finally starting to organize things back into a system I can function with.
These little baseball-card-sized sketches are called ACEO (artist card edition only) or sometimes ATC (artist trading card) if being traded around. I standardized all my sketches for Patreon supporters to this size, and it’s made life much easier for me in terms of starting friction. I have all the stuff to start sketching in one little pouch!
From the top left:
- Kim wanted to say no to summer, so she gets images of winter, instead!
- the abstract dreams of a dying Medusa is for nobody in particular
- Rebecca S wanted something for Pride, and gets this rainbow of DiversiTea
- Eric wanted some beetroot and got some fun watercolor on Yupo substrate
From top down:
- Amber asked for Time Flies
- Jeff asked for “i can’t even right now”
- Eric asked for the One Ring
Categories: Abstract and Just Plain Weird, Angels, Cthulhu, and Other Myths, Completed Commissions, Floating Gallery, Flowers, Trees and Landscapes, Pretty Words, Sea Creatures and Other Animals, Things I'm a Fan Of
Tags: aceo, acrylic ink, black paper, eric, gay pride, iridescent, kim, patreon, rebecca s, sharpie marker, watercolor, yupo
Sunday, July 18th, 2021
This last half-year has had a lot of taking one thing and making it into another. A purple-washed background waiting to become art got the words “be kind” added in soft, subtle periwinkle. After another delay, bursts of shining dots finally blossomed into another addition to my Concentric series.
This tiny artwork has soothing shades of blue and purple and lovely lavender, hints of green and gold waiting to shine at the right angles.
This series is very meditative to paint, following my inner promptings to start a burst here, and then one there in that color, building up from the first dot to the last.
Above, you can see the three shades of color bursts, green-gold, dark purple, and ocean blue. Below, this small painting is framed and waiting to bring delight to some small nook or larger display of art.
Categories: Abstract and Just Plain Weird, Floating Gallery, Pretty Words, Series and Books
Tags: concentric, duochrome, iridescent, nfs, purple, sold, watercolor, word art
Monday, July 12th, 2021
A fitting start for a gallery full of abstract artwork and reclaimed images, here’s an old painting that gained a lot more cowbell.
This mostly-green painting had some sneaky color-changing shine to it already, so I doubled down on that palette and brought in some blue to go with the gold, green, and surprising pops of red. There’s just one big set of Concentric bursts that fade through the palette, and finally trail off and fade out into nothingness.
This is a painting I wish I could show you in person, since it looks different from every angle and has a lot more to offer than I can capture in photos. A very familiar complaint, sadly!
Above, you can see the sunlight reflecting off the green-gold and green-red paints, turning everything into new colors and showing off hidden details. Below, the painting is in a frame, ready to bring a bit of peace and beauty into your life.
Categories: Abstract and Just Plain Weird, Floating Gallery, Series and Books
Tags: black paper, concentric, duochrome, green, iridescent, japanese watercolor, more cowbell, nfs, sold, watercolor
April 2021 Patreon Sketch Cards
Wednesday, July 7th, 2021
Having standardized the sketch size to these pre-cut ATC/ACEO cards makes my life so much easier — they come in vellum for drawing, watercolor paper, and some cool new stuff like Yupo synthetic substrate. It gives me a lot of room for play! Which I did with several of these that weren’t for anyone specific, heh.
From the top left:
- Do Good Recklessly, a recent tumblr meme
- Capybaras for Rebecca S
- A wee Concentric doodle to play with some of my new watercolors
- Bats and Mushrooms and Sun and idk man, sometimes you just gotta paint mushrooms I guess.
- Purple dragon for Andria, who wanted to have a golden hoard of their very own, which was pretty easy since they are very wee
- Amy B asked for a kitten and got a blobcat with a Christmas tree tail, which is a feature of kittens of a certain age that I find delightful. It has brought you a mouse toy like the mighty hunter it is, and is all fluffed up about it.
From the top left:
- Amber asked for “seasonal (holiday) allergies” and I may have chosen to tease her husband.
- A is for Amy wants to play with her yupo paper some more.
- Roxanne asked for Falcon & the Winter Solider and apparently this is what my brain wanted.
- Rey asked for “conditionally huggable” and of course I had to draw a hedgehog.
I love my Patreon supporters with all my heart — thanks, you guys! You’re the best.
Categories: Abstract and Just Plain Weird, Completed Commissions, Floating Gallery, Flowers, Trees and Landscapes, Illuminated Alphabet, People, Figures and Faces, Pretty Words, Sea Creatures and Other Animals, Series and Books, Things I'm a Fan Of, Whimsical and Strange
Tags: bat, capybara, cat, concentric, copic marker, dragon, duochorome, hedgehog, iridescent, mcu, pen and ink, primatek, watercolor, word art
Thursday, September 17th, 2020
This weird little abstract sold to one of my Patreon supporters when it previewed, and got to skip the gallery experience entirely. It’s definitely a painting in which different people see different things, but the swirling layers of color and texture are certainly mesmerising.
It started as so many things of mine do as a background painted and left to sit on a shelf, while the back of my brain processed ideas for what to do with it. Eventually I went to pick texture out of the color and then add color back in to the texture with shades of purple and a hint of blue. There’s even a touch of shimmer along the right side, which will subtly shine in the right light.
Categories: Abstract and Just Plain Weird
Tags: Abstract and Just Plain Weird, iridescent, nfs, primatek, purple, sold, watercolor
« Or Head Back That Way More Art This Way »