Archive for the ‘Abstract and Just Plain Weird’ Category
Tuesday, June 14th, 2022
In the same vein as Time is Escaping, this larger-scale painting uses shimmering, textured paint to create a feeling of water and movement.
The spiral structure suggests a deep whirlpool or concentric waves, with something brightly phosphorescent bursting out, escaping with its darker-hued cousins. Despite the feeling of depth, the paint in the center is thickly layered in textural swashes, though some peeks of the first layer, an iridescent fluorite green wash, still show through.
The palette of black, purple, blue, and green is reminiscent of a peacock feather, as is the sheen of sparkle that covers the entire painting.
Above, you can see sunlight picking up the flecks of tourmaline in the black, and the varying shades of purple floating atop the central vortex. Below, the same purples drift down into the shimmering metallic greens at the bottom of the painting.
Monday, May 9th, 2022
There should be a Floating Gallery coming for you June 1, but for now please enjoy a nice big batch of sketch cards for my darling Patreon patrons! Some of them are for specific people, and then extras get sent to my Snow Leopards in with their other quarterly goodies.
There’s eight here, only two of which are spoken for! From top left:
- Purple abstract! I dunno, I just like it.
- Weird silly drippy experiment abstract, which I also like now that I’ve plaid-ified the gold and turquoise a bit.
- Jeff asked for “writer’s block” and got this shiny, trippy bit of weirdness.
- Eric asked for SPAAAAAACE! and his is also shiny, but he gets a TARDIS.
- This cool sky I made got a city and some birbs to go with it.
- I gave this little raven some more cowbell and untucked his face from his wing.
- I also gave this abstract some more cowbell and now it’s reasonably unrecognizable and also has some Concentric vibes.
- And this last one is full Concentric, with a bunch of bursts that kind of vanish and 3 that do not. Totally something that doesn’t work in a photo, sorry.
Categories: Abstract and Just Plain Weird, Completed Commissions, Flowers, Trees and Landscapes, Sea Creatures and Other Animals, Series and Books, Things I'm a Fan Of, Whimsical and Strange
Tags: city, crow, doctor who, eric, iridescent watercolor, jefferson, patreon, pen and ink, primatek, purple, tardis, watercolor
Friday, April 8th, 2022
Gorgeous shades of purple swirl into a black hole in the middle, where even the light of the stars and the shine of the paint vanishes. It very much feels like a view of space where stars bright and dim glimmer and sparkle out of a swirl of color.
The text at the bottom says, “you are far from done…” and that’s a sentiment I think a lot of us need in this difficult time. Prices rise and rise while wages stagnate, ugliness blooms while it seems like beauty is constantly under attack, but I’m here to tell you: there’s more for all of us.
We just have to find it together.
Above, you can see the words in their ruddy dark ink, and the scattering of stars both near and far twinkling up from the purple sky. Below, the art has been framed, but you can rescue it from the slammer if you want to make it yours! It’s slightly larger than its stated size, and I’d recommend framing it inside a mat or floated on some nice black museum board for maximum awesomeness.
More Art This Way »