Posts Tagged ‘dragon’
Tuesday, April 25th, 2023
Plus a cat, because it made the layout better.
- Jeff requested “Advanced Squid Leader,” and he knows what he’s got here (sold)
- Andria wanted a snow dragon, and got one playing around in deep snow
- Nick asked for “Thestral Moon” and despite referencing the terf wizard books, I painted him something pretty and creepy
- Eric asked for “Scary Fairy” and got this weird little critter (sold)
- And cat 44 again, because Trotsky looks like this when he’s in a sunny window pawing to get out at the squirrels
Categories: Angels, Cthulhu, and Other Myths, Completed Commissions, Flowers, Trees and Landscapes, Sea Creatures and Other Animals
Tags: 100cats, cat, dragon, more cowbell, pen and ink, squid, watercolor
Saturday, July 17th, 2021
A wyrm is a type of dragon with no legs or wings, basically a giant snake that’s still gonna eat you for breakfast. This one is essentially the result of doodling, playing with shapes formed in a loose wash of paint, building up shadows and lifting highlights until the dragon emerged from the swirling mist.
There’s sparkle throughout but especially in the fog, and my favorite shape features heavily. Spirals in the fog, in the scales, in horns that lay flat against its neck.
Sinuous and menacing, this wyrm looks hangry and you look like a snack.
Above, you can see some of the pearlescent shimmer, and a close-up of our wyrm’s baleful eye. Below, he’s in a frame, awaiting his next snack.
Wednesday, July 7th, 2021
Having standardized the sketch size to these pre-cut ATC/ACEO cards makes my life so much easier — they come in vellum for drawing, watercolor paper, and some cool new stuff like Yupo synthetic substrate. It gives me a lot of room for play! Which I did with several of these that weren’t for anyone specific, heh.
From the top left:
- Do Good Recklessly, a recent tumblr meme
- Capybaras for Rebecca S
- A wee Concentric doodle to play with some of my new watercolors
- Bats and Mushrooms and Sun and idk man, sometimes you just gotta paint mushrooms I guess.
- Purple dragon for Andria, who wanted to have a golden hoard of their very own, which was pretty easy since they are very wee
- Amy B asked for a kitten and got a blobcat with a Christmas tree tail, which is a feature of kittens of a certain age that I find delightful. It has brought you a mouse toy like the mighty hunter it is, and is all fluffed up about it.
From the top left:
- Amber asked for “seasonal (holiday) allergies” and I may have chosen to tease her husband.
- A is for Amy wants to play with her yupo paper some more.
- Roxanne asked for Falcon & the Winter Solider and apparently this is what my brain wanted.
- Rey asked for “conditionally huggable” and of course I had to draw a hedgehog.
I love my Patreon supporters with all my heart — thanks, you guys! You’re the best.
Categories: Abstract and Just Plain Weird, Completed Commissions, Floating Gallery, Flowers, Trees and Landscapes, Illuminated Alphabet, People, Figures and Faces, Pretty Words, Sea Creatures and Other Animals, Series and Books, Things I'm a Fan Of, Whimsical and Strange
Tags: bat, capybara, cat, concentric, copic marker, dragon, duochorome, hedgehog, iridescent, mcu, pen and ink, primatek, watercolor, word art
Wednesday, May 12th, 2021
From the top left:
- Booskerdu asked for lilac cats, and got this mostly-monochrome blobcat. I even got the child to help paint the sugilite blob that got turned into a cat! I gave it a few tiny enhancements with some amethyst paint for shading, but I don’t feel I cheated too badly on my b&w commitment.
- Kim asked for Cigfran and got this shy fellow painted in full flight.
- Eric asked for Snorlax and got this slightly pop-art colored Posca marker meme.
- Amy B asked for a wintry bat, and got this little dude in his scarf, chillin’ on a snowman’s head. And yeah, I cheated here, too, and added the tiniest bit of orange watercolor, because reasons.
From the top left:
- Corinne wanted something inspired by a story we both like, and I felt like making an obscure meme joke, so if you don’t get this, don’t worry — you don’t have to. Remember, they’re not temporary dogs, they’re werewolves.
- Rebecca S asked for Dragon Tony and gets this ridiculous chibi masterpiece.
- My BFF Jeff asked for “us” so he gets a stolen joke from a Munchkin card, and his icon plus my inner lazy kitty.
I’m not sure how these didn’t get done until April or put on the blog until May, but time has become meaningless in 2021. I’m getting more caught up, however, so expect to see at least two more sketch card posts in the coming weeks!
As always, you can become a patron to request your own sketches and spin the wheel of creativity.
Categories: Angels, Cthulhu, and Other Myths, Completed Commissions, Nudes and Other Sexy Things, People, Figures and Faces, Sea Creatures and Other Animals, Series and Books, Things I'm a Fan Of, Whimsical and Strange
Tags: bat, cat, copic marker, crow, dragon, kobold, mcu, pen and ink, pencil, pokemon, posca marker, primatek, watercolor, wolf
Wednesday, February 7th, 2018
Fans of Spirited Away will recognize the dragon flying off in the distance, though he’s color-shifted slightly bluer to match the gathering storm clouds.
The clouds are a celebration of filigree and fluffiness, looking heavy enough to squeeze rain out of and down onto the distant, unseen lands below. The sunrise is staining everything with the last of its bright mineral pink, and it sparkles off the hidden shine in the painting when seen from just the right angle.
Spirals small and large give the clouds their beautiful texture, adding dimension to the highlights as well as the shadows.
Above, you can see a close-up on the far-away dragon, and the sun glinting off the iridescent paint like individual scales. Below, you can see it in a frame, just waiting to bring some gorgeous dreaminess to your home.
Categories: Angels, Cthulhu, and Other Myths, Floating Gallery, Flowers, Trees and Landscapes, Sea Creatures and Other Animals, Whimsical and Strange
Tags: clouds, dragon, for sale, interference, iridescent, spirals, watercolor
Monday, December 4th, 2017
This little egg is just starting to crack, its surface full of rough spirals and gradations in color. If you’re wondering what hatches out of such an egg, you can just keep scrolling and see the magnificent spiral purple dragon that it will grow into.
This lovely egg is a symbol of possibility, of potential getting ready to unfold, of something that’s almost done germinating and is ready to break out into the world
What else do you have in your life that’s like that, and how can you nuture it?
Above, you can see the soft textures of paint and paper, just two colors of minerals to make up this whimsical image. Below, the egg is waiting in a frame to incubate and hatch whatever’s inside.
More Art This Way »