Posts Tagged ‘yupo’
Tuesday, April 11th, 2023
And a lot of other sketch cards, plus a bookmark! Only the first set has any that were for prompts, but several/most are now sold.
- Rebecca S prompted “rainbow” and got an experimental birb
- ink and powdered silver pigment makes a space thing
- spooky owl ink experiment
- black cat ink experiment (brother to the owl)
- Amy B prompted “spooky” and gets a Cerberus kitty (sold)
- Andria asked for a tree with purple leaves (sold)
- I never did get the hang of Thursday(s)
- bookmark with one of my cities of smoking ruins
- a pair of ink wash kitties
- two anatomical hearts and two faces hidden in a strange little abstract made of ink and paint
- phoenix! (sold)
- a weird little abstract made of teal ink with sparklies in it, it reminds me of someone floating in the water, or splashing about mid-swim
- spooky trees and a blood moon
- a maiden on the shores of the wide sea
- dragon! (sold)
Categories: Abstract and Just Plain Weird, Angels, Cthulhu, and Other Myths, Completed Commissions, Daily Art, Flowers, Trees and Landscapes, Pretty Words, Sea Creatures and Other Animals, Things I'm a Fan Of, Whimsical and Strange
Tags: aceo, black paper, cat, ink wash, pen and ink, watercolor, yupo
Thursday, April 6th, 2023
So many requests that month! I had a lot of fun with them, despite a head cold that took out our whole household (but wasn’t covid, whew).
- Max Silliness for Rey & Amber (sold)… who remembers Max Headroom?
- Andria asked for “something steampunky” and gets zen circle gears
- Nick asked for Constantine and gets a little sneaky King Shark bonus
- Eric asked for Blast! and gets red-pink fireworks (sold)
- Rebecca S asked for watermelon and gets abstract watermelony goodness
- Look, it’s just been a ‘shaking your fist at the sky’ kind of year, okay?
- Some experimental birbs
- Amy B only sort of asked for Smushmallow Mal but that’s what she got (sold)
- Jefferson asked for Dude of the Endless, and I decided his domain was coincidence: the Dude really brings things together (sold)
Categories: Abstract and Just Plain Weird, Angels, Cthulhu, and Other Myths, Completed Commissions, Flowers, Trees and Landscapes, People, Figures and Faces, Pretty Words, Sea Creatures and Other Animals, Series and Books, Things I'm a Fan Of
Tags: aceo, black paper, copic marker, patreon, pen and ink, watercolor, yupo
Tuesday, April 4th, 2023
Plus a bunch of bonus corvids! I wanted to do some gestural corvids, hilariously unrelated to the poll earlier, just to keep up my practice of loose, interesting birbs.
Only 2 people actually asked for things in July, so we have:
- Jefferson, who asked for Iron Chef Klingon and gets deconstructed disgustingness (sold)
- a purple crow giving some side-eye (sold)
- a rainbow crow giving some serious side-eye (sold)
- some crows flying through a gorgeous sunrise, inspired by Shayla Maddox’s current photo project (pretty sure this one’s been claimed too)
- A bi pride sea turtle for Andria, the only piece to use an actual pen (for the purple bits) outside of the signature, heh (sold)
- and a fluffed-up blue corvid having a bloody red treat (sold)
I actually used references for everything but the food, though I googled Klingon names to give our chef his moniker. I also mentally wrote some weird fanfic in my head about this dish while doodling, so, uh. Enjoy the grossness?
Thursday, March 23rd, 2023
Guess who’s been doing sketches on Patreon for months and not posting them to the blog? It’s me! I’ll be getting the last many months of them out on the blog over the next few weeks, so please enjoy the ridiculousness.
- This one wasn’t a prompt, I just wanted to draw trees and birbs on this orange sunset
- Jeff asked for ‘distracted’
- Another non-prompt experiment with salt and watercolor on yupo that got some marker topography
- And ‘rose candy’ for Eric
These have all found a new home, but some of the later ones are still available for the discerning collector. You can also make an account and follow me on Patreon for free, where these are always posted publicly, or Instagram or Twitter, where I post some things as the mood strikes me.
Categories: Abstract and Just Plain Weird, Completed Commissions, Flowers, Trees and Landscapes, People, Figures and Faces, Pretty Words, Whimsical and Strange
Tags: copic marker, patreon, pen and ink, trees, watercolor, yupo
Thursday, April 7th, 2022
Yupo is a nifty paper-like substrate made of polypropylene resin that doesn’t absorb water at all. This tough little sheet is semi-transparent, so you can see my tablecloth through the sunset if you look closely!
Clouds spiral upward from gold to orange to pink, while the sun sits red at the edge of the horizon, ready to slip away for the night. The tree still has a lot of growing to do, but it’s getting there, and this raven is perfectly happy to hang out and wait for spring.
The ink and paint made fascinating textures on the yupo as they dried, and you can see where I left a little impression of myself in the sun.
Above, you can see the swirls of paint and he way the pen and ink cut right through them to mark its own path on the translucent paper — and you can also se the swirls of my tablecloth showing through! Below, the painting is in a simple frame, though it might be better served by a clear acrylic frame when it finds its way home.
More Art This Way »