Archive for the ‘Angels, Cthulhu, and Other Myths’ Category
Saturday, July 17th, 2021
A wyrm is a type of dragon with no legs or wings, basically a giant snake that’s still gonna eat you for breakfast. This one is essentially the result of doodling, playing with shapes formed in a loose wash of paint, building up shadows and lifting highlights until the dragon emerged from the swirling mist.
There’s sparkle throughout but especially in the fog, and my favorite shape features heavily. Spirals in the fog, in the scales, in horns that lay flat against its neck.
Sinuous and menacing, this wyrm looks hangry and you look like a snack.
Above, you can see some of the pearlescent shimmer, and a close-up of our wyrm’s baleful eye. Below, he’s in a frame, awaiting his next snack.
Tuesday, May 18th, 2021
From the top left:
- Rebecca S asked for “tea time” and got this little test of my new paint palette full of interesting mineral colors
- Andria asked for “looking forward to graduation” and got this little hedgie admiring itself in the mirror in its grad cap
- Amber asked for “rage quit” and got this little Posca marker experiment on a tiny card-sized art board (sold)
- Corinne asked for the obscure combination of lolrus meme and Cap & Bucky (aka Bucket), to which I added the Tsum design for, uh, reasons. Cap kindly modeled. (sold)
- Eric asked for a cat Pokemon and got Mew doing “I fits, I floats” with its tail (sold)
- Amy B asked for Big Kitten Energy and got this b&w doofus (sold)
- Jeff asked for “enjoying retirement” and got his Kobold Curry Chef avatar enjoying someone else’s curry for a change (sold)
- a view of my tiny cool new palette, from which the tea was painted, because why not
- And finally, Booskerdu asked for Q’s cats and got these two b&w kitties laying down the law: food before tea.
Thank you to all my lovely patrons, who have been so, so patient and supportive through everything. If you’d like to become one of them and get your own requests interpreted, you can support me on Patreon here!
Categories: Angels, Cthulhu, and Other Myths, Completed Commissions, People, Figures and Faces, Sea Creatures and Other Animals, Series and Books, Things I'm a Fan Of, Whimsical and Strange
Tags: basement cat, cat, copic marker, hedgehog, kobold, pen and ink, pokemon, posca marker, tea, tsum tsum, watercolor
Wednesday, May 12th, 2021
From the top left:
- Booskerdu asked for lilac cats, and got this mostly-monochrome blobcat. I even got the child to help paint the sugilite blob that got turned into a cat! I gave it a few tiny enhancements with some amethyst paint for shading, but I don’t feel I cheated too badly on my b&w commitment.
- Kim asked for Cigfran and got this shy fellow painted in full flight.
- Eric asked for Snorlax and got this slightly pop-art colored Posca marker meme.
- Amy B asked for a wintry bat, and got this little dude in his scarf, chillin’ on a snowman’s head. And yeah, I cheated here, too, and added the tiniest bit of orange watercolor, because reasons.
From the top left:
- Corinne wanted something inspired by a story we both like, and I felt like making an obscure meme joke, so if you don’t get this, don’t worry — you don’t have to. Remember, they’re not temporary dogs, they’re werewolves.
- Rebecca S asked for Dragon Tony and gets this ridiculous chibi masterpiece.
- My BFF Jeff asked for “us” so he gets a stolen joke from a Munchkin card, and his icon plus my inner lazy kitty.
I’m not sure how these didn’t get done until April or put on the blog until May, but time has become meaningless in 2021. I’m getting more caught up, however, so expect to see at least two more sketch card posts in the coming weeks!
As always, you can become a patron to request your own sketches and spin the wheel of creativity.
Categories: Angels, Cthulhu, and Other Myths, Completed Commissions, Nudes and Other Sexy Things, People, Figures and Faces, Sea Creatures and Other Animals, Series and Books, Things I'm a Fan Of, Whimsical and Strange
Tags: bat, cat, copic marker, crow, dragon, kobold, mcu, pen and ink, pencil, pokemon, posca marker, primatek, watercolor, wolf
Monday, September 7th, 2020
Another piece that’s been in my Work in Progress pile for an embarrassingly long time, I took this city away from reality immediately and never brought it back.
From Mondrian to fungus, the buildings and their washed-out colors spring from a number of sources, including the usual Gherkin-inspired glass edifice.
I couldn’t tell you who or what lives here, perhaps somewhere close to Ulthar or well beyond the cursed plains of Leng. But you could probably tell your own stories about it, if you tried.
Above, you can see the play of dim color on the buildings and in the sky. Below, it’s been framed, like a peek through a looking glass into another world.
Categories: Angels, Cthulhu, and Other Myths, Floating Gallery, Flowers, Trees and Landscapes, Series and Books, Whimsical and Strange
Tags: brush and ink, city, dreamlands, for sale, horizon, watercolor
Saturday, September 5th, 2020
I’ve had the spooky, misty-dusk background of this piece sitting around my studio aka living room for ages, and finally one day I just pulled it out and put some trees on it. The light in the middle begged for its own something, and this loosely-constructed, half-overgrown haunted house grew out of that.
It’s possible your artist watches a few too many Halloween movies.
There’s a trio of trees, a handful of crows, and of course the spooky old house rising up out of the mist.
Above, you can see some spooky trees and spooky birds and the misty gloaming sky behind them both. Below, it’s on my shiny new table easel, waiting to haunt its new home.
Categories: Angels, Cthulhu, and Other Myths, Flowers, Trees and Landscapes, Series and Books, Zombies, Skulls, and Other Morbid Things
Tags: brush and ink, crow, haunted house, nfs, sold, tree, watercolor
Wednesday, July 8th, 2020
The delightfully charming Adam Darkly, known as @devilsconjure on Instagram, wanted to be a cartoon!
He asked to be dressed as a conjureman at a crossroads at night under the full moon, and left the rest of the layout up to me. I put a devil in his pocket, a three-card playing card reading in his hand, and candles at the four points of the crossroads, and left the rest up to imagination. When shown the final version, he said, “It’s perfect!”
My commissions queue is full right now, but if you, too, want to live life as your cartooniest self, drop me a line and I’ll put you on the waiting list!
Categories: Angels, Cthulhu, and Other Myths, Completed Commissions, Flowers, Trees and Landscapes, People, Figures and Faces
Tags: be a cartoon, commission, copic marker, devilsconjure, nfs, pen and ink, sold
Thursday, May 14th, 2020
Back in Feb & March, in the before times and the between times, some Patreon patrons gave me sketch requests! I’ve been slowly filling these as the months go along (they normally get filled the month after they’re requested), but forgetting to share them here.
And so, a lot of art with very little explanation!
Categories: Angels, Cthulhu, and Other Myths, Completed Commissions, Flowers, Trees and Landscapes, People, Figures and Faces, Pretty Words, Sea Creatures and Other Animals, Series and Books, Things I'm a Fan Of, Whimsical and Strange, Zombies, Skulls, and Other Morbid Things
Tags: copic marker, corinne, doctor who, duochrome, glitter gel pen, hockey, ink wash, iridescent, james bond, jefferson, kim, nfs, patreon, pen and ink, pokemon, primatek, sherlock, skull, sold, star wars, tank girl, watercolor, word art
More Art This Way »